Gratitude: An Attitude
We should always be thankful for what GOD has given us, and show Him thanksgiving (gratitude) for everything He’s done for us. It’s important to do this because it helps to deepen your relationship with GOD. You see GOD loves when you praise and worship Him and He’s ready to rain down grace and blessing toward your life as a result.
Having a grateful attitude toward those that help you (GOD included) will help to deepen your relationship with that being (whether it be a friendship, love mate, parent, etc.).
A thankful heart is a defining characteristic of a godly person because it’s an expression from GOD’s presence within us. Our thanksgiving begins when we express and acknowledge that Christ alone is responsible for our salvation. He chose each of us before the world began (according to Ephesians 2: 8 ).
In Colossians 2:6-7, Paul teaches people about gratitude. Many lessons he gives are the following:
- We have been firmly rooted in Jesus, which means we’re securely grounded just like trees with strong roots. The roots of our relationship with the Lord grow deep and draw spiritual nourishment from GOD’s Word. This helps us to not be swayed by adversity.
- We can walk in Him.
- We have a sealed relationship with Him, which means we are children of GOD!
- Salvation is the foundation of our Christian life, and we have the responsibility to build upon it by praying and seeking the Lord, and by reading scripture and applying its truths to our lives.
- We can be grounded in truth of our faith and be able to recognize deception and false teaching.
What does gratitude do for us? (Benefits)
- It impacts every area of our lives.
- Being thankful in everything has a powerful impact on our Christian life.
- It keeps us continually aware (reminds us) that the Lord is close by, helping us all the time.
- It motivates us to look for His purpose in our lives through every circumstance.
- Makes us more sensitive to His comforting presence.
- Helps bring our will into submission with GOD.
- Helps us acknowledge that GOD’s will is best, always.
- Reminds us of our continual reliance upon GOD.
- It’s an essential ingredient for joy and experiencing GOD’s grace at a mental level.
- It strengthens our witness to unbelievers. When unbelievers hear what the Lord has done, they may believe in GOD as a result and believe that He helped.
- Helps you become a light shining in darkness.
- Keeps your focus on GOD.
- Shows you’re sure that He is bigger than any circumstance of yours or others.
- It energizes us.
- It transforms anxiety into peace (that passes all understanding).
Eight characteristics of grateful people
- Aware of the presence of GOD
- Humility: we see that the Lord is the source of all good things and that we had nothing to do with it.
- Thoughtful of other people
- Generous and unselfish
- Contagiously graceful, effectively displaying the character of Jesus in our lives.
- Have the heart of a servant
- Faithful (particularly to GOD)
- Fruitful, which means to desire to be used by our Father to achieve His purposes.
2 Corinthians 4:16-18
1 Thessalonians 5:18
1 John 6:37
1 John 14:3